|Description||One of eight (8) badges, associated with Mardi Gras. The badge is stamped gold-tone metal with synthetic diamonds, rubies and emeralds. A red, yellow, and green grosgrain ribbon (faded) has a bow behind the crown-shaped pin that then attaches to the peacock feathered Maltese star. The top portion is a gold and red crown with a globus cruciger on top and gold lines that form in to birds towards the emeralds that are around the base. The lower portion is a red and gold Maltese star that has three synthetic emeralds that become smaller in size going away from the center. There are also peacock feathers in between each of the points in the star that has synthetic diamonds in each "eye" and synthetic rubies at the tips. Embossed in the center is a white circle that has "PRO BONO PUBLICO" which means "for the public good" at the top and "1882" on the bottom in gold lettering. In the middle of that circle reads "REX " also in gold with red and blue paint (red paint has chipped) with a gold bar going diagonally in between.|
|Dimensions||W-3.4 L-5 inches|
|Owned||William T. Mumford|
|Provenance||Mardi Gras ephemera belonging to William T. Mumford. This badge was worn in 1882.|
Mumford, William T.
New Orleans, Louisiana