|Object Name||Kit, Surgical|
|Description||Surgical kit of rectangular wooden case with a green velvet interior and a lift-out tray (f). A rectangular compartment in the base is covered by a simple pull-away lid. A brass plate on top of the case is engraved, "Dr. A. Brogden / C.S.A." The case has brass corners on top of lid and brass strips in corners of body. Front of case has a cut-out for a shield-shaped lock plate, now missing. With various instruments (a-e, g-q, s-v).|
|Dimensions||H-3.5 W-6.5 L-17 inches|
|Owned||Leonard A. Slater; A. Brogden|
3rd Virginia Cavalry, Co. F
15th Virginia Cavalry
|Made||cutler in Baltimore, Maryland, USA|
Dr. Leonard Slater used the surgical kit during the war in service with the Confederate Army. He enlisted as a Private on June 25, 1861 in Co. F, 3rd Virginia Cavalry. He was detached as a Hospital Steward from November 1861 through February 1862. In March 1862 Slater was promoted to Assistant Surgeon and transferred to the 15th Virginia Cavalry in October 1862. He was captured on January 20, 1864 at Statersville but released on February 4, 1864 because he was a noncombatant. On October 22, 1864 he was reassigned to General Hospital #10 in Salisbury, North Carolina. Slater was paroled in Salisbury on May 2, 1865.
The name engraved on this kit suggests it was originally owned by Dr. A. Brogden.
Slater, Leonard A.
Medical equipment & supplies