Pattern: N/A flag; blue field; silk. Obverse: Oil-painted central seal depicting palmetto tree; motto in gold embroidery, "Our Rights We Defend". Reverse: Bonnie Blue flag, single star; embroidered unit designation.
Stars: One gold silk 5-pointed star (reverse); with one 3/4-inch 6-pointed star in center
Border: 2 1/2 inches gold silk fringe on 3 sides.
Unit Designation: "Catawba Light Infantry" embroidered (reverse).
Battle Honors: None.
|Material||textile (silk); paint|
|Dimensions||H-41 W-41 inches|
|Owned||John H. Barry|
|Owner Regiment||5th South Carolina Infantry, Co. B, "Catawba Light Infantry"|
|Made||unidentified women of Yorkville, South Carolina|
|Provenance||Flag of the 5th South Carolina Infantry, Co. B, "Catawba Light Infantry". Funds for the flag were provided by the ladies of the North Battalion of the 46th Regiment (represented by the Catawbas) to have the flag made by the ladies of Yorkville, South Carolina -- namely, Mrs. H. F. Adickes, Misses Mattie Henley, Bell Williams, LIzzie Masset, Sallie Adickes, Fannie Witherspoon, Mollie Adickes, and Mag. Wright -- who would not accept any payment for their flag-making services. The flag was presented to the company on their behalf by Rev. W. T. Hall in February 1861, at which time he, Miss Adickes, Captain R. H. Glenn, and Color Bearer elect Sgt. G. A. Patrick made a speech. Carried by colorbearer, Sgt. John H. Barry until he was wounded, June 1862, and sent to Barry while home on furlough by Captain G. A. Patrick (and former color bearer elect) when it was decreed that only regimental flags should be carried.|
unidentified women of Yorkville, South Carolina
Barry, John Henderson
Patrick, G. A.
Hall, W. T.
Adickes, H. F., Mrs.
Wounded in war
Wounds & injuries