|Description||The ambulance armband is a length of pink cloth stitched with white thread and stamped with black stars and the words, "COMMITTEE FOR OUR WOUNDED."|
|Dimensions||W-2.5 L-29 inches|
|Owned||P. H. Starke|
|Owner Regiment||Richmond, Virginia Ambulance Corps|
Mr. P. H. Starke wore this ambulance armband during the war in Richmond, Virginia as a member of the Ambulance Corps.
The Ambulance Corps consisted of the ambulances and drivers and the litter bearers of the army. Litter bearers were temporarily detailed from the ranks for that duty and not permanently assigned. Each company was to detail two men for duty as litter bearers. The badge they wore was issued to the surgeons by the medical director and were worn only when needed, being collected and kept by the surgeons when no longer needed. Dr. Hunter Holmes McGuire issued a circular in the spring of 1863 specifying the use of the ambulance corps badges, including how many were issued to a command for use and for spares, when they were to be worn, and how they were to be worn (served to the front part of the crown of the hat).
Starke, P. H.
Medical aspects of war
Medical equipment & supplies