|Object Name||Chair, Side|
The slipper side chair is made of fluted rosewood and ash with no trim and a cabriole front. The back and seat are upholstered in a red wool damask.
Inscription: Chair was incorrectly marked (978.12.2). It has since been labeled with its proper number.
|Dimensions||H-34.5 W-20.5 D-18 inches|
|Owned||H. C. G. Hartman; Leon Schaap|
|Provenance||The slipper side chair came from a parlor set belonging to Jefferson Davis and used in the Executive Mansion in Richmond, Virginia by him during the war. H. C. G. Hartman purchased the set from George A. Freeman, Public Auctioneer on April 5, 1865 in Richmond for 75 Mexican dollars ($11,000 Confederate). Hartman then sold it to Mr. Leon Schaap, who is the father of the donors. Originally part of a parlor set loaned by Mrs. Schaap, that consisted of a sofa, an armchair, and side chairs (0985.13.222, .224-226), a non-matching pier table from Mrs. Marcuse (0985.14.52), and a side chair given by Mrs. Norman Randolph (0985.2.9) that have subsequently become the property of the Museum by donation from her heirs.|
Hartman, Henry C. G.
Confederate Executive Mansion
Confederate White House
White House of the Confederacy