|Description||Model 1836 Flintlock Pistol, .54 cal., smoothbore, 8 1/2" round barrel, brass blade front sight, oval rear sight on barrel tang. Overall length 14". One piece walnut stock. Swivel type steel ramrod with button shaped head. All iron mountings. Barrel band has strap extension joining sideplate. Backstrap forged integral with buttcap, and extends to the tang. Trigger guard riveted to trigger plate. Lockplate flat with beveled edge ahead of hammer, round at rear. Casehardened lockplate, hammer and frizzen, blued trigger and frizzen spring, all other iron parts finished bright. 1837 Inspector, Proof, Assembly Marks - Barrel breech: U.S. / LF / P Triggerguard mount, forward of guard: H and E Inspector's cartouche marks worn or never present. Stamped - Lock, forward hammer: A. WATERS / MILBURY, MS / 1837|
|Owned||James C. Tucker|
|Made||A. Waters, Milbury, Massachusetts|
|Provenance||Pistol found by James C. Tucker in the fall of 1864 secured by shoemaker's wax in the narrow space between the side of a stairway and the weatherboards of a deserted cabin in Sussex County, Virginia.|
Tucker, James C.