TACWM logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name SOFA
Catalog Number 0985.13.00222
Description The upholstered sweep back sofa is made of rosewood and ash. It has a red wool damask upholstery (not the original). Fluted rosewood trim is around the top, and the sofa has triffid feet and arms. The front is molded.
Material wood - Rosewood, rosewood venner, ash; fabric
Dimensions H-36 W-55 D-30 inches
Owned H. C. G. Hartman; Leon Schaap
Made B and P
Provenance The sofa came from a parlor set belonging to Jefferson Davis and used in the Executive Mansion in Richmond, Virginia by him during the war. H. C. G. Hartman purchased the sofa from George A. Freeman, Public Auctioneer on April 5, 1865 in Richmond for 75 Mexican dollars ($11,000 Confederate). Hartman then sold it to Mr. Leon Schaap, who is the father of the donors. Originally part of a parlor set loaned by Mrs. Schaap, that consisted of a sofa, an armchair, and side chairs (0985.13.222, .224-226), a non-matching pier table from Mrs. Marcuse (0985.14.52), and a side chair given by Mrs. Norman Randolph (0985.2.9) that have subsequently become the property of the Museum by donation from her heirs.
People Davis, Jefferson
Hartman, Henry C. G.
Schaap, Leon
Search Terms Confederate Executive Mansion
Confederate White House
Executive Mansion
White House of the Confederacy
Richmond, Virginia
Subjects Couches
Sofas
Furniture
Seating furniture
auctions