|Description||U.S. Model 1858 tin smooth side canteen, three sling loops, 1 1/8" x 64" cotton webbing sling with leather tab abd button, pewter spout, cork stopper with iron ring pull|
|Owned||Albert Lawrence West|
|Owner Regiment||Architect and Civil Engineer, service to Confederate Govt; Co. G, 1st Georgia Infantry Local Defense (Augusta)|
|Event||Siege of Savannah|
This canteen was used by Albert Lawrence West during the siege of Savannah, GA, which was part of Sherman's March to the Sea. He was an architect and civil engineer for the Confederate government.
Col. George Washington Rains hired West to design and build the Augusta (Georgia) Arsenal. West also served a Corporal in Co. G, 1st Georgia Infantry Local Defense (Augusta) Troops. Rains organized this unit from the factory workers in the arsenal and gunpowder works; this unit participated in the action during Sherman's siege of Savannah.
West, Albert Lawrence
Sherman's March to the Sea
Siege of Savannah