Pattern: First National flag; wool, cotton.
Stars: Eleven white cotton canvas, 5-pointed.
Border: 3/4-inch white cotton canvas on hoist edge.
Unit Designation: None.
Battle Honors: None.
|Material||textile (wool, cotton)|
|Dimensions||H-52 W-115 inches|
|Owned||Frank A. Whitescarver|
|Owner Regiment||43rd battalion Virginia Cavalry "Mosby's Rangers"|
|Made||Ladies of Fauquier, Loudoun and Fairfax counties, Virginia|
|Provenance||Flag of the 43rd battalion Virginia Cavalry, "Mosby's Rangers". Made in 1862 by the Ladies of Fauquier, Loudoun and Fairfax counties, Virginia, and presented to Col. Frank M. Angelo, commander of the unit. Carried by Mosby's men in their raids of 1864, and until the end of the war. Capt. Frank A. Whitescarver hid the flag which passed through the hands of several other veterans before being placed in a New York City bank vault from 1907 until 1926. The Rangers rededicated the flag in the Confederate section of Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia, and presented it to Capt. Francis Angelo.|
unidentified women of Fauquier, Loudoun and Fairfax counties, Virginia
Whitescarver, Frank A.
Angelo, Francis M. (Frank)
items hidden from Union soldiers