TACWM logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Chair, Side
Catalog Number 0985.13.00225b
Description One of two (2) identical side chairs are made of rosewood and ash. Each balloon back chair has rosewood carved with symmetrical acanthus leaves and cabriole front. Each seat is upholstered in a red wool damask.
Material Wood - walnut, rosewood, rosewood veneer, ash;
Dimensions H-36 W-19 D-18 inches
Owned H. C. G. Hartman; Leon Schaap
Provenance The pair of balloon back chairs came from a parlor set belonging to Jefferson Davis and used in the Executive Mansion in Richmond, Virginia by him during the war. H. C. G. Hartman purchased the set from George A. Freeman, Public Auctioneer on April 5, 1865 in Richmond for 75 Mexican dollars ($11,000 Confederate). Hartman then sold it to Mr. Leon Schaap, who is the father of the donors. Originally part of a parlor set loaned by Mrs. Schaap, that consisted of a sofa, an armchair, and side chairs (0985.13.222, .224-226), a non-matching pier table from Mrs. Marcuse (0985.14.52), and a side chair given by Mrs. Norman Randolph (0985.2.9) that have subsequently become the property of the Museum by donation from her heirs.
People Davis, Jefferson
Hartman, Henry C. G.
Schaap, Leon
Search Terms Confederate Executive Mansion
Confederate White House
Executive Mansion
White House of the Confederacy
Richmond, Virginia
Subjects Furniture
Chairs
Seating furniture
auctions