Pattern: Second National flag; wool and cotton. Written on the hoist edge in ink, very faded, "Louisiana Guard Battery / 19th a.c. Wm. C. Ahern"
Stars: Thirteen white cotton, 5-pointed.
Border: 3/8" white cotton tape on top and bottom edges; 1 3/8" canvas hoist edge.
Unit Designation: None.
Battle Honors: None.
|Dimensions||H-46 W-66 inches|
|Owned||William C. Ahern|
|Owner Regiment||Louisiana Guard Battery|
|Event||Surrender at Appomattox, Virginia, April 9, 1865|
|Provenance||Flag of Louisiana Guard Battery, presented to the unit on August 17, 1864, through Professor Alexander Dimitry by New Orleans ladies residing in Richmond, Virginia. It replaced the unit's second flag, which had been captured at the Battle of Rappahannock Ford on November 7, 1863. The flag was carried until the end of the war, when the unit was present at the surrender at Appomattox Court House. To avoid surrendering the flag, color bearer Pvt. William C. Ahern of New Orleans tore the flag from its flagstaff and wrapped it around himself under his shirt. Ahern kept it concealed on his person until he returned to New Orleans, and continued to hide it throughout the Reconstruction period.|
Ahern, William C.
Surrender at Appomattox, Virginia, April 9, 1865
items hidden from Union soldiers