|Object Name||Pitcher, Water|
|Description||Silver plated pitcher on a stand. The pitcher tilts on the stand to pour. The inner well is porcelain. The plate was apparently burned out of the pot and no rests in they well. Eastlake style engraving and design. Engraved in the center of the pitcher is: "Legacy of Uncle Josiah Ames to A.V. Partiridge, Interest in the Brig Jefferson Davis, 1885." Stamped with "Pat. Apr. 30th. 1878." "Reissued Oct. 8. 1878" "PAT. Oct. 29th. 1878".|
|Dimensions||H-21 W-9.75 inches|
|Owner Regiment||CS Jefferson Davis Privateer|
|Made||Meriden Britannia Company|
The tilting pitcher is a commemorative gift to remember the exploits of the Southern Privateer the "Jefferson Davis".
Jefferson Davis, a 187-ton brig, was built in Baltimore, Maryland, in about 1845 as the merchant vessel Putnam. As the slaver Echo, she was captured off Cuba on 21 August 1858 by USS Dolphin. Sold by the U.S. Government in January 1859 to a Charleston, South Carolina, owner, she regained the name Putnam. In May 1861, after the outbreak of the Civil War, Putnam was renamed Jefferson Davis (or Jeff Davis) and was commissioned as a Confederate privateer in mid-June. She left Charleston later in that month to begin an effective commerce-raiding cruise off the U.S. east coast, capturing nine merchant sailing vessels. Three of these were recaptured, three were released, one was burned and two, able to reach port in the Confederacy, were auctioned for the benefit of the privateer's owners and crew. While attempting to enter harbor at Saint Augustine, Florida, in mid-August 1861, Jefferson Davis went aground and was lost.
Confederate States Navy