|Description||U.S. Model 1858 smooth side canteen, one sling loop (of three) remaining, 1/2" x 35" (remaining) leather sling with iron buckle, pewter spout, no stopper.|
|Owned||Joseph E. Hobson|
|Owner Regiment||4th Virginia Cavalry, Co. E, "Powhatan Troop"|
This canteen was used by Captain Joseph E. Hobson, Co. E, 4th Virginia Cavalry, during the Civil War.
He donated these in memory of his brother, Thomas Hobson, who was killed near Spotsylvania Courthouse on May 9, 1864 at age 23, and was carried from the field wrapped in a blanket and buried near the courthouse.
Hobson, Joseph E.