Pattern: Army of Tennessee battle flag; wool and cotton. Conserved.
Stars: Four remaining (of original 13); white cotton, 5-pointed.
Attachment: Fabric ties; 3 remaining.
Unit Designation: None.
Battle Honors: Stenciled in black ink, very faded, "NEW HOPE.", "VICKSBURG.", "PERRYVILLE.", "JONESBORO.", "BAKERS CREEK."
|Dimensions||H-31.5 W-41 inches|
|Owner Regiment||41st Georgia Infantry|
|Made||probably Augusta Depot, Augusta, Georgia, CSA|
|Event||Surrender at Bennett Place, North Carolina, April 26, 1865|
Flag of the 41st Georgia Infantry. Requisitioned in December 1863 (requisition for the found in the Compiled Service Record of Col. William E. Curtis) and issued to the unit in 1864. Believed carried until its surrender at Greensboro, North Carolina, April 1865. Missing portions were likely removed by Union soldiers at that time (although it is also possible they were removed by members of the 41st Georgia prior to surrendering it). Later found in Yonkers, New York, and returned to Virginia.
Jacob Platt of Augusta was the contractor who supplied these Augusta Depot battle flags in early 1864 (based upon surviving requisitions and telegrams).
"Discovered in Yonkers, New York. Nothing is known of its history except the names of battles written on its face. Bought by the United Daughters of the Confederacy through its President-General, Mrs. William E. Massey."
Curtis, William E.
Surrender at Bennett Place, North Carolina, April 26, 1865
items captured by Union soldiers
items captured from Confederate soldiers
items taken by Union soldiers
items taken from Confederate soldiers