|Object Name||Handle, Trephine|
|Description||Handle: One of two trephine handles. This handle has an octogonal cylindrical body with a square hole running completely through it. The remaining faces alternate between smooth and cross-hatched. The two ends each have a smooth cylinder with out-flaring ends. The outside end has a flattened button with depressed center. Currently attached to trephine saw (0985.13.00967L). Previously identified as a raspatory handle. Part of a surgeon's surgical kit.|
|Dimensions||W-0.75 L-4.75 D-0.75 inches|
|Owned||Leonard A. Slater; A. Brogden|
3rd Virginia Cavalry, Co. F
15th Virginia Cavalry
Dr. Leonard Slater used the surgical kit during the war in service with the Confederate Army. He enlisted as a Private on June 25, 1861 in Co. F, 3rd Virginia Cavalry. He was detached as a Hospital Steward from November 1861 through February 1862. In March 1862 Slater was promoted to Assistant Surgeon and transferred to the 15th Virginia Cavalry in October 1862. He was captured on January 20, 1864 at Statersville but released on February 4, 1864 because he was a noncombatant. On October 22, 1864 he was reassigned to General Hospital #10 in Salisbury, North Carolina. Slater was paroled in Salisbury on May 2, 1865.
The name engraved on this kit suggests it was originally owned by Dr. A. Brogden.
Slater, Leonard A.
Medical equipment & supplies