|Description||The spoon is carved from a piece of wood. Inscribed on the back in ink is "Spoon made and used by John W. Fitzgerald of Company E. 3rd Virginia Cavalry while in prison at Elmira N.Y. from October 1864 to June 1865."|
|Owned||John W. Fitzgerald|
|Owner Regiment||3rd Virginia Cavalry, Co. E, "Nottoway Troop"|
|Made||Capt. John W. Fitzgerald, Elmira Military Prison, Elmira, New York|
|Provenance||Corporal John W. Fitzgerald made and used this spoon while he was a POW at Elmira Military Prison in Elmira, New York from the end of July 1864 to July 15, 1865.|
Fitzgerald, John W.
Elmira Prison, New York
Prisoners of war