|Object Name||Saw, Surgical|
|Description||Metacarpal saw: composed of a serated cutting edge which extends from the rounded tip to the end of the metal. The bolster has been partially removed along the edge to allow for the serations to continue to the bottom of the metal blade. An gold colored piece of metal has been added to the heel portion of the spine and inserts into the bolster. The bolster is square and is attached to the blade with two small nails. A restricted arched neck leads into the handle with a rounded butt. Chevrons have been carved into the neck and the grips are cross-hatched.|
|Dimensions||W-0.75 L-8.5 inches|
|Owned||Leonard A. Slater; A. Brogden|
3rd Virginia Cavalry, Co. F
15th Virginia Cavalry
Dr. Leonard Slater used the surgical kit during the war in service with the Confederate Army. He enlisted as a Private on June 25, 1861 in Co. F, 3rd Virginia Cavalry. He was detached as a Hospital Steward from November 1861 through February 1862. In March 1862 Slater was promoted to Assistant Surgeon and transferred to the 15th Virginia Cavalry in October 1862. He was captured on January 20, 1864 at Statersville but released on February 4, 1864 because he was a noncombatant. On October 22, 1864 he was reassigned to General Hospital #10 in Salisbury, North Carolina. Slater was paroled in Salisbury on May 2, 1865.
The name engraved on this kit suggests it was originally owned by Dr. A. Brogden.
Slater, Leonard A.
Medical equipment & supplies