|Description||Rectangle of black painted wood.|
|Dimensions||W-1.25 L-3 inches|
|Owned||Thomas J. Jackson [Stonewall Jackson]; Mary Anna Morrison Jackson|
This is one of two pieces of a buggy, probably his "Rockaway" carriage, owned and used by Lt. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson.
When the Civil War began in 1861, Jackson gave his "Rockaway" (one horse carriage) to Rev. Foucher C. Tebbs, a Methodist minister residing in Lexington, VA. Rev. Tebbs was married to Maj. Broun's sister, Maria. The couple used the carriage during the war and up until Mrs. Tebbs' death in 1876 (the Reverend pre-deceased her), when it was willed to Maj. Broun. Maj. Broun and his wife, who were living in Charleston, West Virginia, used it for ten more years, until it became too dilapidated. In 1886 after writing to Mrs. Jackson and receiving her response to donate it to any society he saw fit, Maj. Broun wrote to Virginia Governor Fitzhugh Lee about the possibility of donating it to the Soldiers Home in Richmond. In 1893 the Brouns sent this cushion and two pieces of a wheel from the carriage to the Museum, and in 1901 the Soldiers Home donated their pieces of the carriage to the Museum. The Museum kept this cushion but used the other pieces to create souvenirs for sale by the CMLS.
Jackson, Thomas Jonathan (Stonewall)
Jackson, Mary Anna Morrison [Mrs. Thomas Jonathan]
Morrison, Mary Anna
|Subjects||Carriages & coaches|