|Description||Rigdon, Ansley Revolver; .36 caliber, 6 shot ; 7.5" barrel; 12 stops on cylinder; serial number 1934; "CSA" stamped on top of barrel.|
|Made||Rigdon, Ansley and Company, Augusta, Georgia, CSA|
Confederate manufactured revolver.
On January 1, 1864 another partnership was formed for the purpose of supplying the Confederacy with revolvers. This new partnership consisted of Charles H. Rigdon, Jesse A. Ansley, A. J. Smith and Charles R. Keen. This firm was known as Rigdon, Ansley & Co. With the formation of Rigdon, Ansley & Co. another move began; this time to Augusta, Georgia. In Augusta, approximately another 600 revolvers were manufactured which completed the original contract for 1,500 revolvers.
Upon the completion of the original contract some few changes in the design were made, the most notable of which was the addition of six extra cylinder stop cut outs, for a total of twelve. This allotted one stop for each cylinder and one to provide a safe seat for the hammer between each cylinder. The loading lever catch was also changed and a cap release groove was added. The lowest surviving "12 stop" Rigdon, Ansley revolver known is number 1512 and the highest is number 2373. The "Leech & Rigdon CSA" barrel marking was reduced to "Augusta GA CSA" for about 150 revolvers and then dropped to "CSA". Rigdon, Ansley & Co. continued their production until April of 1865 when Sherman took Augusta. Charles Rigdon was at the founding of Leech & Rigdon and the fall of Rigdon, Ansley & Co. during which time he produced 2,400 revolvers, making him the second most successful revolver maker in the Confederacy.