TACWM logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Canteen
Catalog Number 0985.05.00048
Description U.S. Model 1858 tin smooth side canteen with steel spout, blue cover, and leather strap. The name "C. Palfrey, C.S.A." is cross-stitched in red thread on one side of the canteen, First National Confederate Flag is embroidered on the other; the same red thread surrounds the perimeter of the canteen, as though joining the front and back sides of the blue cover. The leather strap has a metal buckle. No stopper in spout.
Dimensions H-9 W-8.5 inches
Owned Charles Palfrey; Chester K. Leach
Owner Regiment Palfrey: Washington Artillery, New Orleans, Fourth Company

Leach: 2nd Vermont Infantry, Co. H
Made Unknown
Event Battle of Chancellorsville
Provenance This canteen was used by Charles Palfrey. Palfrey left the canteen on the battlefield of Chancellorsville, VA, on May 3, 1863, and it was picked up by a Union soldier, Lt. Chester K. Leach of the 2nd Vermont Infantry, Co. H. After 45 years the canteen was returned to Palfrey by Leach's cousin. A 1908 newspaper clipping in the file contains copies of the correspondence regarding the identification and return of the canteen.
People Palfrey, Charles
Leach, Chester K.
Search Terms items captured by Union soldiers
items captured from Confederate soldiers
items taken
items taken by Union soldiers
items taken from Confederate soldiers
United States Army
flag imagery
found on battlefield