|Object Name||Bottle, Medicine|
|Description||Medicine bottle: tall bottle with cork, brown tar-like substance around inside bottom and around cork, part of label still intact, reads "Hogsh__d Brothers & Co. / Corner drugstore - Staunton, VA". Stored in the third row, second from left. From wooden medicine chest (.944).|
|Owned||J. Lucy [Jackson Lucy]; Dr. Watson|
|Owner Regiment||32nd Ohio Infantry, Co. A, USA|
The medicine chest was captured during the war; presumably, it had belonged to a Federal doctor named Dr. J. [Jackson] Lucy. It was later owned (believed captured) by a Confederate doctor named Dr. Watson.
According to a book published about the 32nd Ohio, "Jackson Lucy, who was at that time residing in Carrollton, and engaged in the practice of medicine, was chiefly instrumental
in recruiting and organizing the company [A]." Lucy was appointed Captain of Company A, and resigned on March 12, 1862. The regiment was attached to Kimball's Brigade, Cheat Mountain, District West Virginia, to November 1861. Milroy's Brigade, Reynolds' Command, Cheat Mountain, District West Virginia, to March 1862. The medicine chest was likely captured at the battle of Battle of Cheat Mountain or Battle of Greenbrier River, as these occurred when Lucy was still enrolled.
items captured by Confederate soldiers
items captured from Union soldiers
items taken by Confederate soldiers
items taken from Union soldiers
United States Army
Medical equipment & supplies