The brass badge consists of two parts - bar pin and pendant. The bar pin is shaped like a ribbon banner with fish tail ends. A lion's head is attached to its center. The banner has a serrated edge. The lettering to the left of the lion's head reads, "L. G. 1826." The lettering to the right side of the lion's head reads "C. G. 1833." A small red stone is set in each of the lion's eyes. The lion's mouth holds a rectangular connecting ring. A curved loop links that ring with another rectangular connecting ring on top of the pendant. The top of the pendant has an eagle with outspread wings sitting on a heart. A sword hilt and pointed end of a pike are to the left on the eagle's wing. A second pike and bayonet are to the right. The eagle holds a ribbon banner with fish tail ends in its beak; the banner drapes over the heart. Black enamel lettering is on both strands of the ribbon. "OLD" is printed on the left strand; "GUARD" is printed on the right strand. The heart shape below the eagle has a beveled edge along its perimeter. A relief image of a soldier standing in front of a cannon is in the center of the heart. Black lettering on that beveled edge reads, "DE NOVO JUVEN TUTEM AGIMUS / 1868." The back of the badge rests against the backing of the frame and is therefore, not visible. This badge is part of a large framed collection (0985.7.135); the rest of the collection is enumerated separately (0985.7.135a- 0985.7.135r, 0985.7.135t-0985.7.135hh).