TACWM logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Clamp, Surgical
Catalog Number 0985.13.00967u
Description Serafine / surgical clamp: single piece of metal bent shaped into a coil spring on one end. Each arm has a rounded protrusion to act as a finger hold at the mid-point. The arm ends in a right angle where the two arms slightly overlap and then turn again at a right angle. The ends terminate in a flat tip with teeth cut into it. One end has three teeth; the other has two. Originally stored in the covered compartment of Dr. Slater's surgeon's surgical/amputation kit.
Material Metal
Dimensions H-0.125 W-0.375 L-0.75 inches
Owned Leonard A. Slater; A. Brogden
Owner Regiment 3rd Virginia Cavalry, Co. F
15th Virginia Cavalry
Provenance Dr. Leonard Slater used the surgical kit during the war in service with the Confederate Army. He enlisted as a Private on June 25, 1861 in Co. F, 3rd Virginia Cavalry. He was detached as a Hospital Steward from November 1861 through February 1862. In March 1862 Slater was promoted to Assistant Surgeon and transferred to the 15th Virginia Cavalry in October 1862. He was captured on January 20, 1864 at Statersville but released on February 4, 1864 because he was a noncombatant. On October 22, 1864 he was reassigned to General Hospital #10 in Salisbury, North Carolina. Slater was paroled in Salisbury on May 2, 1865.

The name engraved on this kit suggests it was originally owned by Dr. A. Brogden.
People Slater, Leonard A.
Brogden, A.
Subjects Medical care
Medical equipment & supplies
Medical personnel
Surgery
Surgical instruments