|Catalog Number||WD 494, a|
Pattern: First National flag (believed modified from a United States National flag); wool, cotton. With piece (a).
Stars: Thirteen (of believed original 15 or 25), white cotton, 5-pointed.
Border: 2 inches white canvas on hoist edge.
Unit Designation: None.
Battle Honors: None.
|Material||textile (wool, cotton)|
|Dimensions||H-73 W-101 inches|
|Owner Regiment||Camp Moore, Louisiana|
Flag of Camp Moore, Louisiana. Captured at Camp Moore, Louisiana, on the New Orleans and Jackson Railroad, October 1864 by Gen. A. L. Lee's Cavalry.
"Flag captured by General A.L. Lee's Cavalry Command at Camp Moore, La. On the N.O. and Jackson Railroad" (from "Record of Rebel Flags Captured by Union Troops After April 19, 1861", National Archives, RG 94)
On the evening of October 5th, 1864, about 1,000 Union troops from five different cavalry regiments and under the command of Col. John Fonda left Baton Rouge and moved out the Greenwell Springs Road. They passed Greenwell Springs, Williams Bridge near present day Grangeville and then on to Osyka, MS on the morning of the 7th. That evening a force of about 100 troopers entered Camp Moore and scattered the 50-odd conscripts located there. They then proceeded to destroy a vast quantity of stores including large quantities of gray cloth, a tannery, 2,000 sides of leather and scattered about 200 cattle. They also captured this garrison flag and sent it North.