These buttons were worn by Private Norman V. Randolph, a member of Mosby's Battalion. Randolph cut them off his uniform after returning to Richmond at the end of the war, when the U. S. Provost Marshall issued the order that all Confederate buttons be struck off clothing of the Southern Societies. Randolph first enlisted in the 24th Virginia Cavalry in April 1862 and served on Gen. Pegram's staff. He then joined the 43rd Battalion Virginia Cavalry in Co. E. Randolph was wounded in action in 1863 at Upperville. Randolph was paroled on May 10, 1865 in Ashland, Virginia. He was President of the Lee Camp Soldiers' Home in Richmond, Virginia and of the Randolph Paper Box Company. Randolph died on March 13, 1909 was buried in Shockoe Cemetery in Richmond, Virginia.