|Description||Thomas Morse sharpshooter's rifle with optical sight.|
|Owned||J. W. Davies (tentative); William W. Davies|
|Made||Allen and Wheelock (telescopic sight); Thomas Morse (rifle)|
This Thomas Morse Sharpshooter's rifle was part of J. W. Davies' war relics. Morse was active as a gunsmith in Macon, Georgia, from 1850 through 1865.
J. W. Davies raised a company of sharpshooters, detailed for special service on the James River during the war. The following quotes provide some information on the rifle and sight manufacturers. "These self-cockers were commonly turned in to Samuel Sutherland, the 'Armorer of the South,' at the start of the war by Southern citizens to aid the war effort." (Albaugh, William A., Hugh Benet, Jr., Edward N. Simmons. Confederate Handguns: Concerning the Guns, the Men Who Made Them, and the Times of Their Use. Philadelphia: Riling and Lentz, 1963, p. 190) "The Richmond 'Daily Examiner' of January 3, 1861, carries an advertisement, 'Bowie knives, fine English, French and German double guns, Colts, Smith & Wessons, Allen & Wheelocks and Adams English repeaters. Double barrel guns, rifles, and pistols made to order. Mounted men solicited to buy from our stock.' Kraft was also a principal in the sword making firm of Kraft, Goldschmidt, and Kraft of Columbia, South Carolina, which operated from 184 Main Street." (Ibid., 225) "The following table from the 'Official Records' shows the revolvers (other than Colts) purchased for the Union Army during the four years of war: . . . Allen & Wheelock - - - 500 . . . ." (Fuller, Claud E., and Richard D. Steuart. "Firearms of the Confederacy." Lawrence, Massachusetts: Quarterman Publications, Inc., , p. 244) The Confederate States Patent Office granted the following patent in 1863: "No. 199 - September 10, Thomas Morse, Richmond, Va.; breechloading firearm." (Ibid., 327) J
Davies, John W.
Davies, William W.