TACWM logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Window, Leaded
Catalog Number 0985.12.00079
Date 1903
Description Stained glass window, consisting of painted glass panels set with lead cames within a steel frame; steel support bars are attached with copper wire. Central image paint is enamel. The stained glass window is a memorial to Terry's Texas Rangers, representative of the cavalry. Central figure is riding a galloping horse, has one hand held high in the air, and is wearing a saber on his waist belt; another rider on horseback, possibly in pursuit, is in the background to one side. The side panels list the names of various battles in which the rangers were engaged. The top center panel, left side, reads, "IN HONOUR OF / COLONEL B F TERRY'S / TEXAS RANGERS". The top center panel, right side, reads, "ARMY OF THE / TENNESSEE / 1861-1865". The bottom panel reads, "TRIBUTE FROM CITIZENS AND DAUGHTERS OF CONFEDERACY -- TEXAS 1903". [For a full description of the text that appears on the window, see document under "Media".]
Material Glass/Metal/Lead/Steel/Copper
Dimensions H-70.25 W-47 inches
Owned Confederate Memorial Literary Society
Owner Regiment Terry's Texas Rangers
Made Charles F. Hogeman Company, New York City, New York
Provenance The stained glass window was designed and constructed as a memorial to Benjamin Franklin Terry's Texas Rangers, representative of the cavalry. Believed presented and installed in 1903 (date on window). It was presented by the citizens of Texas and the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
People Terry, Benjamin Franklin
Search Terms United Daughters of the Confederacy
UDC
U.D.C.
Confederate Memorial Literary Society
CMLS
White House of the Confederacy
Confederate Museum
Subjects Windows
Stained glass
Cavalry
Horses