|Description||Straight, double-edged blade which tapers sharply at point; brass (?) ring guard and ferrule, langets secured to shaft with slotted screws; iron butt cap.|
These pikes are examples of those made by the mechanics and blacksmiths of Georgia when not enough other kinds of weapons could be obtained. The type is one of four different types of Confederate manufactured pikes, according to the donor. The donor obtained these pikes from the Augusta Arsenal through Major Taylor, who "got an order from the government to sell them" to her.
Governor Joseph Brown of Georgia (1857-1865) issued a Proclamation on February 20, 1862, calling for use of specially made pikes by the armies of the South. His effort was also to involve the civilian population in the war effort. These pikes are sometimes known as "Joe Brown" pikes. As far as is known, these Georgia-made pikes were never used in battle.
Brown, Joseph Emerson