|Object Name||Coat, Frock|
|Description||United Confederate Veteran coat: single breasted, 5 button front, cadet gray wool cloth without facings or piping, gray polished cotton lining in body, white cotton lining with blue dots and pinstripes in sleeves, gold embroidered general's insignia in fold down collar, UCV buttons with backmark: "Goodwins Pat. July 27 1876"|
|Owned||John W. Jewett|
|Owner Regiment||1st Battalion Virginia Infantry Local Defense Troops, Co. D (Armory Battalion), "Capt. Henry Fitzgerald's Co."|
|Provenance||Dr. John W. Jewett of Danville, Virginia wore this UCV frock coat after the war as a member of the United Confederate Veterans. He was born in Danville, Virginia. A "John W. Jewitt" was a member of Co. D, 1st (Armory) Bn. Virginia Infantry, Local Defense Troops, "Capt. Henry Fitzgerald's Co." This Richmond company was formed by employees of the C. S. carbine factory on June 17, 1863. After the war, Jewett moved to Ivanhoe, Virginia and had a medical practice there. He was buried in Galax, Virginia.|
Jewett, John W.
United Confederate Veterans