|Object Name||Chest, Medicine|
|Description||The leather on the chest is stencilled on one end reading, "W. C. Cromwell/ Columbus, G.A." and on the other side "W.C." One lift is missing from interior section.|
|Dimensions||H-17 W-26 D-16 inches|
|Owned||Warham Cromwell ; Benjamin M. Cromwell|
|Owner Regiment||4th Georgia Infantry, Co. E, "Albany Guards"|
Dr. Benjamin M. Cromwell owned and used the medicine chest during the war. He initially enlisted in Co. E, 4th Georgia Infantry, "Albany Guards." He was promoted to assistant surgeon in October 1861, and served in the 1st, 3rd, and 5th North Carolina Infantry (Stonewall Jackson's II Corps). In May 1862, he was promoted to full surgeon at the rank of major, and served with the 3d Louisiana Battalion. He was present at the surrender at Appomattox.
The initials on the chest indicate it may have originally belonged to his father, Warham Cromwell, a resident of Columbus, Georgia.
Cromwell, Benjamin M.
Medical equipment & supplies