|Description||Roughly constructed camp table with hinged top (one side with checkerboard design) and legs made of forked tree branch.|
|Dimensions||H-28.5 W-22 L-22 inches|
|Owned||Robert E. Lee; Charles Marshall|
|Owner Regiment||Army of Northern Virginia.|
|Made||Bernard "Bryan" Lynch, Lee's mess steward|
|Provenance||This is a table used at general Robert E. Lee's winter headquarters near Orange Court House in 1863-64. The table was made by mess steward Bryan [the Irishman Bernard Lynch] for Charles Marshall. It was used by the officers for writing and playing chess. Nearly every night, General Lee would come watch the game and sometimes advise the players. After the war, the table was removed from the old camp by Mrs. Taylor, who sent it to Marshall at his request.|
Lee, Robert E.
Lynch, Bernard (Bryan)
Marshall, Charles L.