|Description||Model 1860 Staff and Field Officer's sword: straight, double-edged blade with diamond cross section, etched with floral decorations and military trophies; gilded hilt composed of rounded guard decorated with eagle and flags, hinged counter-guard stamped three stars over "E.L" all within oval, knuckle bow, pieced for a sword knot where it enters the pommel, decorated with floral designs, inverted cone pommel decorated with eagle, shield and floral spray; wood grip covered in twisted wire. Metal scabbard (.736a) with brass mounts.|
|Owned||Philip St. George Cooke|
Brev. Maj. Gen. Philip St. George Cooke (U. S. Army) owned and used this sword during the war. Cooke was a good friend of Union Generals Grant, Sherman, Thomas, and McClellan, among others. His son and son-in-law were Brig. Gen. John Rogers Cooke (C. S. A.) and Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart (C. S. A.), respectively.
At the outbreak of the Civil War, Cooke commanded the 2nd Dragoons, which was redesignated the 2nd U.S. Cavalry, before being appointed brigadier general, U.S. Army, on November 21, 1861, to rank from November 12, 1861. He initially commanded a brigade of regular army cavalry within the defenses of Washington, D.C. For the Peninsula Campaign, he was selected by McClellan to command the Cavalry Reserve, a division-sized force, of the Army of the Potomac. When Confederate forces evacuated the city of Yorktown, Cooke was sent along with Major General George Stoneman in pursuit and his cavalry was roughed up in an assault ordered by Stoneman against Fort Magruder. He saw subsequent action at the battles of Williamsburg, Gaines' Mill, and White Oak Swamp. Cooke ordered an ill-fated charge of the 5th U.S. Cavalry at Gaines' Mill during the Seven Days Battles, sacrificing nearly an entire regiment of regulars. After the Peninsula, Cooke left active field service.
Cooke, Philip St. George
Seven Days Battles
Battle of Gaines' Mill / First Cold Harbor
Battle of White Oak Swamp
Battle of Williamsburg