The badge consists of five parts - bar pin, ribbon, metal connecting bar, pendant, and charm. The brass bar pin is rectangular in shape and has ball-shaped ends; the pin has no marks. A white silk ribbon threads through a hole in the bar pin at its top and through another hole in a connecting bar at its bottom. The ribbon contains black lettering which reads, "VET / C. S. C. / 1861 / 1865." A brass and enamel shield hangs from the bottom of the connecting bar. The shield is covered in an enamel Army of Nothern Virginia pattern flag with a red background, blue St. Andrew's cross, and white stars. The back of the badge rests against the backing of the frame and is therefore, not visible. This badge is part of a large framed collection (0985.7.135); the rest of the collection is enumerated separately (0985.7.135a- 0985.7.135d, 0985.7.135f-0985.7.135hh). The badge is located in the upper right quadrant of the frame.