|Description||Non-regulation Prussian Heavy Cavalry Officer's Sword: single edged straight blade; family crest deeply etched on blade; stamped "F. Horster" and "Eisenhauer" on obverse ricasso; "Solingen" on reverse ricasso; brass half-basket hilt with two-branches and knuckle bow flowing from guard to pommel; shagreen covered grip wrapped with metal wire. Steel scabbard (.152a).|
|Owned||Heros Von Borcke|
|Owner Regiment||Chief of Staff, Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart; AAG, Brig. Gen. J. Gorgas|
|Made||F. Horster, Solingen, Germany|
Heros Von Borcke owned this sword and scabbard during the war. As a Captain, he served as Assistant Adjutant General on Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart's staff during June and July 1862, being promoted to Major on July 25, 1862. As a Major, he later served as AAG on Brig. Gen. Alfred Colquitt's staff.
When Von Borcke toured the South in 1884, he presented his sword and scabbard to the R. E. Lee Camp, No. 1, [United] Confederate Veterans. The veterans' group in turn presented the items to the State of Virginia. A joint resolution of the General Assembly accepted the sword on August 14, 1884.
Von Borcke, Johann August Heinrich Heros
Robert E. Lee Camp
United Confederate Veterans
U. C. V.