TACWM logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Chair, Side
Catalog Number 0985.08.00004a
Description The two side chairs (4a and 4b) are both made of mahogany and ash. This chair (.4a) has a cabriole front with a foliate carved open oval back, a man's face on crest plate, fluted legs, and slipper feet. The two chairs match a set consisting of a sofa (0985.8.3) and a center table (0985.8.5).
Material Wood - walnut;
Dimensions H-39 W-18 D-16 inches
Owned T. T. Brookes
Provenance The two side chairs were "used by the Jefferson Davis family while in residence in the Executive Mansion in Richmond during the Civil War. T. T. Brookes of Petersburg, Virginia purchased the table (and, presumably, the other items) at the 1870 Auction. Brookes turned it over to Z. W. Pickerell, who turned it over to his brother-in-law Samuel B. Paul ten years later. In 1908, Paul gave it to the donor, Miss Sullivan.
People Davis, Jefferson
Brookes, T. T.
Search Terms Confederate Executive Mansion
Confederate White House
Executive Mansion
White House of the Confederacy
Richmond, Virginia
1870 Auction
Subjects auctions
Furniture
Chairs
Seating furniture