Monument to Confederate Dead of Sumter District,South Carolina. Erected by the Ladies Monumental Association of Sumter District, South Carolina. Made of Fairfield granite; cornerstone laid 1874, J. L. Kershaw, orator. Completed 1876. 18 feet at base, height 43 feet. Cost about $9,000.00 431 names of Confederate dead inscribed thereon Officers of Ladies Monumental Association, Sumter District Organized 867 Mrs. Octavia H. Moses, President Thos. Eraser, Treas. Bernard D. Lee Secty. Executive Committee J. L. Blanding, Chairman A.J. Moses, L.A. Loring, E.W. Noise, Guignard Richardson. N.G. Paig Architect Stewart & Co. Contractors. Among the very first public Confederate Monuments erected in South Carolina.